"This is the story of how a middle-aged spinster lost her mind, deserted her domestic gods in the city, took a furnished house for the summer out of town, and found herself involved in one of those mysterious crimes that keep our newspapers and detective agencies happy and prosperous."I thought I would begin my introductory post into the Finer Things Club with a chilling book because, well, it is almost Halloween.I only came to be familiar with this book due to Catherine and Mom. While Catherine was visiting Mom and Dad in Nauvoo one summer, she and mom had long periods of waiting. I can't remember what they were waiting for but they were waiting just the same. To pass the time Mom would read out loud to Catherine from a book. This book, The Circular Staircase. Apparently this book was written by a favorite author of our Grandmother's(Mom's mom
). Catherine said the book was very interesting and frightening and she loved to listen to Mom read it. I was sold. Not long after that I headed over to my beloved Library and checked it out.
). Catherine said the book was very interesting and frightening and she loved to listen to Mom read it. I was sold. Not long after that I headed over to my beloved Library and checked it out.I really enjoyed this book. The author does a good job of keeping you unsure and wanting to read more. Well, at least to me. It was also interesting to read a book written by a very popular writer in the early 1900's. I hope anyone looking for a good mystery will get a chance to read this.
*Bonus*
Can anyone name the movie where the opening song is from? Do you know who the composer is? (I didn't till yesterday but I love his music!)





10 comments:
Why, North by Northwest of course. Although I could barely hear it since I had about 10 blogs up, but somewhere I recognized that music that can only sound like Mt. Rushmore and Carey Grant and trainrides. That book sounds chilling. I'd love it.
I love this book too! Although it's been a couple of years since I last read it and I can't recall any of the particulars. (Yeah I talk like that during the WAFL or the FTC! I checked this one out from the library, and I'm anxious to read it again, but I have some other unfinished reading business to tend to. (The last book in the Darcy trilogy - and Girls will be Girls)
Oh yes, and I'm terribly ashamed to admit, that I did not recognize the music!
Mary you joined us. Hurray. I was worried about club membership today! haha
I love this music and know it well.
But tell who is the composer?
It's not Elmer Bernstein is it?
He is one of my favorites and has done many movies.
Also about North By Northwest. I know everyone loves Cary Grant, and he is wonderful, but I hate his hands in this movie when he's kissing Eva Marie Saint on the train. He's so handsome, and tan, but I did not like his hands at all.
My favorite movie of his is The Philadelphia Story. I love him in that one. I love him in The Bachelor and The Bobby Soxer, too with Myrna Loy.
As for your book, it sounds scary and fascinating. I've heard everyone talk about this before but I haven't read it.
I better get with it. That's two today.
Is this non fiction...or fiction?
That reminds me of Charade when Adam Canfield asks Reggie if she wants to hear the story and she says....Fiction or Non? And he tells her,"why don't you shut up?"
Well!
Anyway, just wondering....it sounded like non.
And I can't wait to hear who the composer is.
The composer is Bernard Herrmann. I love his music from another movie but that is for next week's finer things club.
This book is fiction. I love that part of Charade too. She sounds so offended and bothered by just saying "well".
North by Northwest is not one of my favorites of Hitchcock but I do like the music......and it was the only eerie music I could find of composed by Bernard Herrmann so it worked!
I love the book and the music with this post. Nice work MK. So fun to be reminded of all these cultural arts :). This is way better than Relief Society (don't tell Mom).
H
Heidi's right. This is so much better than Relief Society!
Mom knows. She says RS was better in her day when she joined the church and they taught about arts and literature, and childraising.
RS does sound better back in Mom's day. I love learning about these books, music, and ideas. I think Leslie is right about it keeping you alert and thinking about things in a new light. I'm really enjoying it. It's so much better to have my thoughts so happily engaged in constructive thoughts instead of wondering how many times I've swept the floor in one day!(Unfortunately I still think about my floors)
Seriously, if I'm going to have any idea what you guys are talking about, I'm going to have to go to the library. :) I never think I have time to read all the books... And I feel like my mind is rotting away from not enough stimulation...that is why I should start reading books while I blow dry my hair. :)
Post a Comment