Thursday, May 1, 2008

My Mother's Day Nigtmare!!!

Okay, that title might be a little dramatic. Some mothers wouldn't even consider this soon-to-be experience a bad thing. But not this mother. I have been asked to sing in church (Sacrament meeting!) on Mother's Day!!! It's not a solo but it might as well be to me. I will be singing with Annaliese, and two other women. That is just not enough people in my opinion to drown out my own voice.

Don't ask me how this dilemma could befall a girl who as never even step foot near a choir and who, I might add, has no singing experience what so ever! Well, that is not exactly true. I have had some experience with singing, and to fully appreciate my despair at my next singing debut you must hear about my "first solo performance."

A long time ago, in rare act of kindness to my mother, I consented to sing with my nieces for the women in church(Relief Society). My nieces Holly and Mallory Montano were darling little girls and had that to help pull them through any defects in singing. I, on the other hand, was in the horrible, bratty, teenager years and had nothing to fall back on. Well, the performance began all right but my nieces suddenly found this situation so funny that they began to giggle and giggle and giggle. In fact they were giggling so much that they really could no longer manage to sing the song(a very high pitched one too! ) I was too old to stop singing myself and all major exits were blocked at that moment. One of them by my older sister snickering in the back! I carried on horribly but somehow made it through.......the first verse...... and then the second verse!!!

After the performance my mother came over to give me a little light pat on the back and her sad little smile but I was in no mood! I was furious! I wasn't sure who's fault it was but I knew it was someone else's and not mine! Oh, the humiliation of it all. And now reader you know why singing in church is the last thing I want to do on my Mother's day. It's even ruining the idea of my lovely Mother's Day dinner! And you just go any lower than that with me!

10 comments:

Prudy said...

MK:
I don't usually burst out laughing before 7AM, but you got me. Was I the older sister snickering in the back? Because if not, I'm snickering now! I feel your pain, but I'm also enjoying it.

Anonymous said...

HILARIOUS, MK! Perhaps,this time around, I can be the older sister snickering by the back exit. What will Annaliese's punishment be if she giggles instead of sings? You guys will be great! You're a better singer than you realize!

MK and Co. said...

I thought my sisters would enjoy my woe. The sister in the back was the mother of the said nieces. "!!!!" said the Telles home.

Fantastic Mr. R said...

MK. I have always LOVED LOVED LOVED this story. And now I am even more excited for Chapter 2 to occur this Sunday. Please keep me posted, oh yes, and Happy Mother's Day! heee heee hee

Babs Renouf said...

Dear Mary Kate and Annaliese, this could be your be big break as the newest mother and daughter singing duo. Consider this a kind of debut of a sort. As a tiny girl, you were not afraid to try anything, don't lose your courage now!! Love your dad and mom

Anonymous said...

MK
I LOVE the album all about your birthday girl!!! I was going to do one all about Annabelle's birthday and her party but now I can't wait to copy you! I'm sorry I'm always after your ideas, but, hey what are sisters for, anyway? LOVE LOVE LOVE the birthday girl album!

Leslie said...

Oh Mary,
I'm such a dope. I left all my comments about your upcoming Mother's Day Performance in The Let's Get it Started section.
It's a miracle that I was actually able to even leave a comment.
It was really all Mallory.
But, take a look. Your solo time is only a week away.
I can hardly believe you're going through with it.
You should get the Congressional Medal of Honor or a Mother's Day merit badge, or something.

Leslie said...

It's me again. Did I fail to mention anything about the blog? I think I did.
I LOVE IT. I am having such a good time FINALLY being able to comment. Mallory just said, Mom this is like "My Space" for you!
It is. I love all the pictures, and songs, and the kids. Young families look so adorable and happy and perfect.
Remember Mary, "THIS IS THE BEST TIME OF YOUR LIFE."
This is what Mom keeps telling Heidi, in a very serious, and solemn, meaningful way.....and I am here to tell you that she is right. These are the best days! So spend all your money on the kids, and take them everywhere, and do everything fun you can pack in before they turn into teenagers...and grown ups! Hurry Mary....Live It Up!

WT said...

Hey Mare, this is new to me,I actually posted in the wrong subject! I think it was family night. Anyway it would be nice if you could post your performance or maybe some pictures, wish we could be there to see!! Im sure you guys will do awesome and if by chance you freeze up forget your lyrics or any other minor catastrophe just smile and look pretty and let Ann carry you, no problem. Love ya guys!

Jess said...

I thought it was the whole primary singing~ now I understand a little better why it's a bit more traumatizing than that. You will do great! I have every confidence :) Sorry you've got a talk to top it off!

Music


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones